A long while ago, Jesse and I spent a month in London for a rotation that Jesse had at Great Ormond Street Hospital, a really incredible pediatric hospital that he loved being at. It was an amazing month full of exploring and new adventures with friends and family, lots o' beer and fish and chips. It's been more than a year since this excursion and I’m still upset I left without a British accent. But we can't have it all, can we?
For me, there is something so very special about London. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I just feel so alive and well when I'm there! I was in London twice before, so I really wanted to experience all of the things that I'd never seen before, some of that included:
1. Camden Town: Shopping and markets galore. Don't miss the Camden Market, Horse Tunnel Market and the Stables Market!
2. Vaudeville Theater: We got to see The Importance of Being Earnest in the historic Vaudeville Theater. We thought it was just incredible!
3. Kings Cross: A main train station so it's a popular area along the canal full of markets, restaurants and shops. If you're a Harry Potter fan, this is where Platform 9 3/4 is! The line to "enter" the platform is endless and long but it's fun to go watch all the fans take their pictures. Also, book lovers, Word on the Water is close to Kings Cross and you won't want to miss this boat bookstore. It's the absolute cutest! Also, walk along the canal and you'll find the tiny, unique Gasholder Park.
4. Brick Lane: Market: Shopping, markets and antiquing galore
5. Covent Garden: Beautiful, lively piece of London, lacking in nothing (plus there's a ben's cookies there)
6. Neal's Yard: quaint, colorful and artsy with lots of small cafes and restaurants to choose from
7. Shoreditch: grungy, hipster heaven where we saw a bridal party playing quidditch #goals
8. Visit Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and the Roman baths: We aren't "tour with a tour guide" people but we did a whole day tour with an amazing 3rd cousin of Jesse's who just so happens to be a human encyclopedia. He knew everything about everything. We learned and saw so much in less than 6 hours.
9. British Library: I've got a thing for libraries and while this wasn't the most beautiful library I've ever seen, it was still a nice place to sit down and do some work on my computer.
10. The British Museum: We aren't museum people by any means, but we went because cultural knowledge is important and we we're happy we went! The architecture and interiors were stunning!
Fish and Chips:
1. Chip Inn Fish Bar: 193 Holloway Rd, London N7 8DJ (was my favorite and the cheapest)
1. Golden Union: 38 Poland St, Soho, London W1F 7LY
2. Rock and Sole Plaice: 47 Endell St, West End, London WC2H 9AJ
3. Poppie's: 6-8 Hanbury St, Spitalfields, London E1 6QR
1. Shoryu: 3 Denman St, Soho, London W1D 7HA
2. Inko Nito: 55 Broadwick St, Soho, London W1F 9QS
3. Ichibuns: 22 Wardour St, West End, London W1D 6QQ
4. Ben's Cookies:13A The Piazza, Covent Garden, London WC2E 8HD
5. Com Viet Vietnamese: 2-4 Garrick St, Covent Garden, London WC2E 9BH (was my favorite)
6. Nando's: 12 - 16 York Way, London N1 9AA
7. Masala Zone: 48 Floral St, Covent Garden, London WC2E 9DA
8. Young Vegans Pie Shop: 60 Camden Lock Pl, Camden Town, London NW1 8AF
1. Jacob the Angel: 16A Neal's Yard, West End, London WC2H 9DP (was my favorite)
2. Knockbox Coffeee: 29 Lamb's Conduit St, Holborn, London WC1N 3NG
3. Tutti's: 68 Lamb's Conduit St, Holborn, London WC1N 3LW
4. Harold and Leslies: 343A Caledonian Rd, Islington, London N1 1DW
1. Waxy's Little Sister: 20 Wardour St, West End, London W1D 6QG (was my favorite)
2. The Round House : 1 Garrick St, Covent Garden, London WC2E 9BF
3. The White Lion: 24 James St, Covent Garden, London WC2E 8NS
4. The White Swan: 14 New Row, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4LF
5. Ognisko Polskie - The Polish Hearth Club: 55 Princes Gate, Knightsbridge, London SW7 2PN
6. Drink, Shop, Do: 9 Caledonian Rd, Islington, London N1 9DX
7. Hemingford Arms: 158 Hemingford Rd, London N1 1DF
8. Jin Bo Law: 14th floor, 9, Dorsett City, Aldgate High St, London EC3N 1AH
9. The Jack Horner: 234-236 Tottenham Court Rd, Bloomsbury, London W1T 7QN
( We apparently drank a lot of beer!)
If you find yourself in London, I hope this list of delicious and fun finds, serves you well!