My first delicious Knödel lesson has come and gone, so I was very excited when my friend, Arabella, gave me my second lesson. This time, Spinat Knödel was on the menu. And I am so happy I know how to make these bad girls, because now, I can make these babies on my own, any time I want. Which is going to be all the time! These amazing Spinat Knödel (spinach dumplings), are so simple to make and are completely delicious. Never would I ever think that I could love a dumpling so much.
yields about 15 large and delicious dumplings
1 bag of chunky bread crumbs
1 cup of milk
1 clove of garlic
3 bundles of spinach (or one package of frozen spinach)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup of fine bread crumbs (you might not use this)
butter for browning
1. Pour your chunky bread crumbs into a big bowl and pour your milk over it. Leave this to sit, to soak up the milk, while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Sautee minced onions, garlic and spinach in a bit of olive oil on medium heat.
3. Chop the spinach finely and pour the sautéed spinach onto the bread crumbs and milk.
4. Allow it to cool a bit then add your eggs and salt and pepper.
5. Combine it all with your hands, making sure to squeeze the mixture thoroughly. Don't be gentle, really get in there and smush it between your fingers to combine it all together. (If the mixture is sticking to your hands too much, add a bit of the fine bread crumbs. If the mixture is not combining or is a bit dry, add a spash more of milk!)
6. Now you're ready to roll! Wet your hands with a bit of warm water, use a spoon to scoop out the mixture, and roll away! (Your Knödel can be any size you want- just make sure they are all about the same so they cook evenly.)
7. Drop all of the Knödel in a pot of boiling water. Allow them to cook for 15 minutes. Or until they float to the top of the water.
8. Plate your Knödel and pour on a generous amount of melted brown butter and top with lots and lots (and lots) of freshly grated parmesan and eat your heart out! You can serve them with salad on the side to cut the heaviness of the cheese and butter.
Seriously friends, make these. You won't be disappointed, I promise! Let me know if you end up giving them a try so we can talk about how life chaining they are!
I hope you have a beautiful day! Until next time.